Tuesday, September 22, 2009

9:24:07

There is a story I want to share with you all. I was at the store a few nights ago buying groceries with my fiancée Isabel. We were in the check out line and a young kid, about 16 years old, was our cashier. We had just come from the gym and still had our workout gear on; I was being quite obvious with my bodybuilding.com tight under armor shirt on. The kid looked at me and asked softly, “Sir, are you a bodybuilder?” I smiled back at him and replied jokingly “Yep, what gave it away???” He smiled and continued to scan our items. After a few moments he looked at me and asked, “Is it fun?” Of course my reaction was “Yea it’s a lot of fun, if you make it fun. If it was not fun, I probably wouldn’t do it.”

He smiled and finished checking us out, we thanked him and left. As I walked out of the store, I thought about his question, “is bodybuilding fun??” I can honestly say yes, it is. I have a lot of fun with what I do. But I also think about all the people who don’t have fun with bodybuilding. You know who they are, maybe you are even one of them. The people who lament what they do. They complain about having to eat bodybuilding foods when their friends go out to dinner. They whine about the cardio they must do when getting ready for a show. They go out of their way to tell you how hard their road is and how much they have to sacrifice.

Well I got news for you… if you don’t like bodybuilding, THEN DON’T DO IT! I’m tired of hearing pissing and moaning from people who don’t truly love the sport. Why would you do something you hate? Bodybuilding isn’t for everyone. Just because you don’t enjoy it, that doesn’t make you soft, or a coward, or anything like that, it just means you don’t dig the lifestyle. Personally I love what I do and if I didn’t, I wouldn’t do it. Sure enough though, I see plenty of people lamenting what they do day in and day out in the gym. It is almost as if they workout and diet out of some kind of fear. That is no way to live. If you can’t have fun with something you do, then you simply aren’t going to work hard at it.

Is bodybuilding tough? You bet your ass it is. But I love it. I love bodybuilding. I don’t want to hear you’re whining or complaining. If you don’t like it, if it’s not fun for you, if you wake up everyday not looking forward to your workout or what you have to do, then get out. Do something that makes you happy.

Yes bodybuilding is fun for me. I’ve learned how to integrate it into my life; I don’t let it dominate my life. There is a difference. So when that kid asked me if bodybuilding was fun, I didn’t have to lie to him. Maybe, just maybe, he’ll try it out for himself.

Layne Norton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers